United States Service Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a United States service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Service Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Representative Rouda may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Service Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
- Application Window Open: March 1, 2020
- Students interested in the Service Academy are able to submit applications online.
- We do require three letters of recommendation for the Service Academy Nomination process. A letter from a science or math teacher is recommended but not required. If you have recommenders who would like to write a letter on your behalf, please direct them to submit directly to the information below. Keep in mind that there is a limit of three (3) letters of recommendation per applicant.
- All letters must be signed and submitted in sealed envelopes.
- April 2020: Info Session 1
- Congressman Rouda and his staff will hold an information session to guide students and parents through the process. Representatives from each academy will be present to provide personal insight into the application process.
- Monday, October 12, 2020 at 5:30pm: Info Session 2
- Stay tuned to the website for additional information. Invitation emails will be sent to all those who have a pending application with the service academies.
- Friday, December 4, 2020: Application Window Closes
- Final deadline for all applications is November 6, 2020 at 5:00 pm. Applications may be submitted electronically, by mail, or in person at Representative Rouda's district office.
- December 12 & 13, 2020: Nomination Interviews
- Qualified applicants will meet with Rep. Rouda’s Service Academy Nominations Advisory Board for a personal interview. Nominations will be announced around mid-December 2020.
- Members of Representative Rouda's district office will contact students to finalize interview details.
Checklist for Nomination Application Packet:
- Completed Application. It is important that the form be filled out neatly and be completed in ink or typed.
- Resume of extracurricular activities, including employment (if any), clubs, volunteer activities, and sports teams.
- Essay/Personal Statement. Limit your writing to 500 words. Prompt included in packet.
- Transcript(s): An official high school transcript must be included with your application materials. Please also provide a transcript for any college work that you have completed.
- Standardized Testing: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, copies of your Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) and/or American College Testing (ACT) scores will be waived and submissions will be optional; standardized tests will have no weighted score in the evaluation process. The SAT Code for our office is 4461. The ACT code for our office is 7287.
- Letters of recommendation: Three letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation may come from teachers, guidance counselors, coaches and/or employers.A letter from a science or math teacher is recommended but not required. Letters from family members will not be accepted. All letters must be signed and submitted in sealed envelopes.
- Affidavit of residence & media release form
- Letters of assurance (if provided by service academy)
Questions or comments? Please call our nominations coordinator, Alex Gonzalez, at (714) 960-6483 or email NominationsCA48@mail.house.gov